The Dad Update

April 2010 I went to visit Dad in the hospital in Salmon Arm, B.C. He had a bad attack of gout and was unable to walk . After discussions with his doctors, the hospital liaison co-ordinator, his friend Irene, and community care workers, Dad had a decision to make - to stay in Salmon Arm in "assisted living" or come home with me to decide what to do next. He decided to come home with me.

I have created this blog mainly to keep my family updated, but now and then my friends may want to check in to see how life is "living with Mac!".

This blog will note how it is living with an 83 year old father. It will note the funny, the sad, and anything else in particular that may happen with "living with Mac"!


Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hip Surgery - Day 4

I was able to talk to Dad's surgeon (Dr. Nelson) tonight.  He said Dad is doing well.  He said Dad won't be able to come home until at least Monday - he was supposed to come home tomorrow.  He said Dad hasn't walked (or even moved) very much and until he does he can't come home.  Dad said it hurts to move and he said when he tries to move his leg it feels like a ton of cement. 

They removed the IV and the catheter from Dad today which is a good sign.  He did pee in a bottle so his plumbing is working which is good.

Dad did seem a bit confused tonight and was seeing writing on the wall.  The surgeon said that could be from some of the drugs they have been giving Dad.

Dad ate some dinner tonight but threw it up.  He had problems swallowing last night too.  I mentioned it to the surgeon and he said he will have a swallowing test done on Dad tomorrow.

All in all, I think Dad is doing good.  The surgeon thinks so and I believe him.  Unless something unusual happens tomorrow I will give the next update on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment