The Dad Update

April 2010 I went to visit Dad in the hospital in Salmon Arm, B.C. He had a bad attack of gout and was unable to walk . After discussions with his doctors, the hospital liaison co-ordinator, his friend Irene, and community care workers, Dad had a decision to make - to stay in Salmon Arm in "assisted living" or come home with me to decide what to do next. He decided to come home with me.

I have created this blog mainly to keep my family updated, but now and then my friends may want to check in to see how life is "living with Mac!".

This blog will note how it is living with an 83 year old father. It will note the funny, the sad, and anything else in particular that may happen with "living with Mac"!


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hip Surgery - Day 2

Well .... today is a better day!  Brian checked in on Dad this morning and he said Dad was good, a little pale, but good.  I saw Dad at lunch time but he was sleeping.  Brian and I both went to see him at 4:00 and I have to say Dad was much better than yesterday.  He wasn't as pale as yesterday and he was coherent, not flying high from the gravol.  He was only in pain when he moved.  Brian and Dad played two games of crib so that is a good sign.  I worked on a puzzle book and made tea. 

Oh ... I should mention Dad is in a private room, however, it is used as a semi-private room.  They managed to fit two beds in a small room.  They also have a bed in the public lounge area.  It is good they have made more room for patients, this means more people can have surgery.  Anyway, Dad has a room mate now and I must say he is much too talkative!!  The half hour I saw Dad at lunch time I learned just about everything about Dad's room mate, including if he didn't go pee soon the nurses would have to put his catheter back in!!  Way, way too much information!!
 
It is good that Dad is good ... much less stressful for me!  We will let you know what tomorrow brings.  Take care everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment