The Dad Update

April 2010 I went to visit Dad in the hospital in Salmon Arm, B.C. He had a bad attack of gout and was unable to walk . After discussions with his doctors, the hospital liaison co-ordinator, his friend Irene, and community care workers, Dad had a decision to make - to stay in Salmon Arm in "assisted living" or come home with me to decide what to do next. He decided to come home with me.

I have created this blog mainly to keep my family updated, but now and then my friends may want to check in to see how life is "living with Mac!".

This blog will note how it is living with an 83 year old father. It will note the funny, the sad, and anything else in particular that may happen with "living with Mac"!


Saturday, February 26, 2011

February 26, 2011 - Update

Just a quick note.  Dad is doing very well.  His incision is healed and he is getting around much better.  He is walking way better than before the operation.  He still uses his walker but I think in time he shouldn't have too!  His back, shoulder, and knee seem to be bothering him quite a bit lately though ... figures.

Dad seems to be a little "blue" these days.  I think it is because he is home quite a bit and not going to Rainbow twice a week.  Dad was out this past Wednesday (on Brian's BD).  Brian had to take Dad to see the surgeon and get a blood test - four and a half hours later, they were home!!  They even had an appointment!  Brian took Dad for lunch today too just to get him out. 

Starting Thursday, Dad will be going to the GAT unit twice a week.  I think that will make him much happier!  And they will help him get more mobile, exercise, etc.  My blog on Aug 16, 2010 describes what the GAT unit does.

No comments:

Post a Comment